This intensive 12-month Commercial Dance program provides you with the performance skills and marketability necessary to work in the vast field of commercial dance. A graduate has the ability to dance, sing and act, enabling a performance career in music videos, musical theatre, cruise ship performance and more.Dance training is in jazz, hip hop and ballet combined with in-depth acting, vocals and chorus repertoire. Career management and personal marketing skills combined with polished performance technique will launch your professional commercial dance career.
Entrance requirement is dance training at the intermediate jazz level with training in additional dance forms as a significant asset.
Prospective students must pass an audition in jazz as well as an interview.
Program Standards and Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform jazz and hip hop dance technique to professional standard in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Perform chorus repertoire technique, memorizing and reproducing long movement sequences integrated with vocals, to professional standard in commercial ensemble productions.
- Sing at a professional standard using pulse, rhythm, meter, dynamics and accurate pitch in solo and ensemble presentations.
- Create and perform artistically expressive dramatic characterizations in a dance context at a professional level for solo and ensemble productions.
- Present self professionally at auditions and in industry environments through resumes, biographical backgrounds, and photographs during commercial and academic interviews.
- Develop self-knowledge and reflective practice to make informed artistic,
pedagogical, personal development and career choices within the performing arts industry.
- Exercise critical thinking skills to peer evaluate performance, mentor creativity and innovate to inspire projects, peers and students.
Tuition & Fees
*Amounts listed are the total of tuition, materials, student service and ancillary fees for the three semesters of programs starting in Fall 2018. Fees are subject to change for programs starting in Fall 2019 and at later dates.
‡ There will be a $60 audition fee (payable in cash or cheque only) when you arrive on the day of your audition for P101, P105 or P106.
International students: Visit the International Fees and Related Costs page for more information.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this online calendar is subject to change without notice. It should not be viewed as a representation, offer or warranty. Students are responsible for verifying George Brown College fee requirements.
How to Apply
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic achievement, including the
required courses, and any other selection criteria outlined below.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent**
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Audition – Auditions will be held in spring and fall. For more information on auditions, including dates and times please call 416-415-5000, ext. 2196 or visit georgebrown.ca/performingarts/danceauditions.
- A minimum of five years training in Jazz Dance; training in additional dance forms is an asset.
** Mature student status (19 years of age or older and no ossd)
Please note that George Brown is committed to ensuring that applicants will succeed in their program of choice and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants may be required to have grades higher than the minimum requirements stated.
College or university credits may qualify you for course exemptions. Please visit georgebrown.ca/transferguide for more information.
Visit the International Admissions page for more information.
Pay for GBD Audition
Career & Post-Graduate Opportunities
Our graduates are working! Some of the many places they’ve found work include:
- The commercial dance industry: performing on cruise lines, at resorts and casinos, as well as touring with children’s productions such as Franklin the Turtle.
- The project-based dance industry: applying for funding for their own projects, choreographing, founding companies, joining/forming groups and producing shows, performing at festivals, cabarets, theatres and resorts.
- Traditional festivals: apprenticing, performing and touring with established festivals such as Stratford and the Charlottetown Festival.
- The dance training studio industry, driven by television and live dance competitions: teaching, choreographing, coaching and judging, as well as founding and taking ownership of their own studios.
- The dance fitness and workshop industry: teaching and developing the expanding market of dance fitness and specialized workshops, and taking this product across Canada and abroad.
- The sports and dance teams industry: cheerleading, and forming and joining dance teams.
- Film and television: appearing in productions and music videos, and developing dance on film projects.
Some graduates continue on to arts and master’s degrees in universities and continued professional development in fields such as circus performance, personal fitness, stage management, nutrition and physical therapies.
Some of the companies our graduates are working for:
2015 Pan Games Dance Artist, A2D2 Aerial Dance, Abroad in Australia, Mexico, Germany, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, USA, Lebanon, Artists Play Dance Theatre*, Ballet Espressivo, Ballet Kelowna, Blaze Entertainment, Blue Ceiling Dance, Cadence Ballet*, Canada’s Ballet Jörgen, Carnival Cruise Lines, Charlottetown Festival, Chimera Dance Project, Circus Orange, Dance Fuzion, Dance Ontario, Disney Cruise Lines, DivaGirl Entertainment, Drayton Entertainment, Dusk Dances, Elite Stage Productions, Hamilton Tiger Cats Dance Team, Honey Kats, Human Body Expression, Jay9 Dance Projects, I/O Movement*, La Belle Danse Baroque Company, Les Mills International Dance Fitness, Lindsay Ritter Productions, Luminato Festival, Melbourne Dance Theatre Company, Mirvish Productions, Much Music, Lady Gaga, Ontario Ballet Theatre, Paul Ibey Dance Company, Princess Cruise Lines, REAson D’etre Productions, So You Think You Can Dance, Starting Pointe Productions*, Stiletto Girls*, StratfordFestival, The Garage, The Rockettes, Toronto Argonauts Blue Thunder Dance Team, Toronto Burlesque Festival, Toronto Dance Theatre, Toronto Marlies Dance Pak, Toronto Raptors Dance Team, Toronto Rock Dance Team, Tree House Television, Valence Movement Dance Theatre*, Wonderland Dance Company
*Company founded by GBD Graduate