This intensive 12-month Commercial Dance program provides you with the performance skills and marketability necessary to work in the vast field of commercial dance. A graduate has the ability to dance, sing and act, enabling a performance career in music videos, musical theatre, cruise ship performance and more. Dance training is in jazz, hip hop and ballet combined with in-depth acting, vocals and chorus repertoire. Career management and personal marketing skills combined with polished performance technique will launch your professional commercial dance career.
Entrance requirement is dance training at the intermediate jazz level with training in additional dance forms as a significant asset.
Prospective students must pass an audition in jazz as well as an interview.
Program Standards and Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform jazz and hip hop dance technique to professional standard in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Perform chorus repertoire technique, memorizing and reproducing long movement sequences integrated with vocals, to professional standard in commercial ensemble productions.
- Sing at a professional standard using pulse, rhythm, meter, dynamics and accurate pitch in solo and ensemble presentations.
- Create and perform artistically expressive dramatic characterizations in a dance context at a professional level for solo and ensemble productions.
- Present self professionally at auditions and in industry environments through resumes, biographical backgrounds, and photographs during commercial and academic interviews.
- Develop self-knowledge and reflective practice to make informed artistic,
pedagogical, personal development and career choices within the performing arts industry.
- Exercise critical thinking skills to peer evaluate performance, mentor creativity and innovate to inspire projects, peers and students.
How to Apply
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic achievement, including the
required courses, and any other selection criteria outlined below.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent**
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Audition – Auditions will be held in spring and fall. For more information on auditions, including dates and times please call 416-415-5000, ext. 2196 or visit georgebrown.ca/performingarts/danceauditions.
- A minimum of five years training in Jazz Dance; training in additional dance forms is an asset.
** Mature student status (19 years of age or older and no ossd)
Mature Students may take the Admissions Assessment for English, OR may consider upgrading to achieve the credit(s) needed in English.
Please note that George Brown is committed to ensuring that applicants will succeed in their program of choice and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants may be required to have grades higher than the minimum requirements stated.
College or university credits may qualify you for course exemptions. Please visit georgebrown.ca/transferguide for more information.
Visit the International Admissions page for more information.