This rigorous and comprehensive two-year Dance Performance diploma program provides you with the necessary skills to launch a career in dance. As a graduate, you will be a classical ballet and/or contemporary dancer with the professionalism, technical expertise and industry contacts required to pursue a career in dance. With a choice of specialty in classical or contemporary dance, students train in ballet, modern and jazz with studies in acting, vocal, repertoire and composition to elevate their overall performance quality and marketability.
There are two streams for students to specialize in either classical or contemporary dance:
The Classical stream is for intermediate/advanced ballet students and includes more advanced training in ballet and pointe.
The Contemporary stream is for intermediate-level ballet students and includes additional contemporary training and the option of less advanced pointe classes.
Students auditioning for this program should have a minimum of five to seven years in classical ballet and have reached an intermediate level in classical ballet for the Contemporary stream and an advanced level in classical ballet for the Classical Ballet stream; pointe work is required, as well as training in Jazz and/or Modern Dance.
Further Study Can Be:
Program Standards and Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform advanced classical ballet and modern dance technique in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Perform jazz dance technique in choreographed solo and ensemble productions.
- Sing at an intermediate level using pulse, rhythm and metre in both solo presentations and chorus productions.
- Create artistically expressive dramatic characterizations in a dance context at an advanced level in both solo and ensemble performances.
- Present self professionally at auditions and in industry environments through resumes, biographical backgrounds, and photographs to advance artistic and career opportunities.
- Develop self-knowledge and reflective practice to make informed artistic, pedagogical, personal development and career choices within the performing arts industry.
- Apply pedagogical skills and concepts to educate students in the areas of ballet, modern and jazz dance training.
A look at your Program
P105 Classical Term 1 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Classical Term 2 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Classical Term 3 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Classical Term 4 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Contemporary Term 1 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Contemporary Term 2 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Contemporary Term 3 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
P105 Contemporary Term 4 – Sample of Weekly Schedule of Classes
Further Study Can Be
Tuition & Fees
$5,887.00 * ‡
* Amounts listed are the total of tuition, materials, student service and ancillary fees for the first two semesters of programs starting in Fall 2018. Fees are subject to change for programs starting in Fall 2019 and at later dates.
‡ There will be a $60 audition fee (payable in cash or cheque only) when you arrive on the day of your audition for P101, P105 or P106.
International students: Visit the International Fees and Related Costs page for more information.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this online calendar is subject to change without notice. It should not be viewed as a representation, offer or warranty. Students are responsible for verifying George Brown College fee requirements.
How to Apply
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic achievement, including the required courses, and any other selection criteria outlined below.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent**
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Audition – Auditions will be held in spring and fall. For more information on auditions, including dates and times please call 416-415-5000, ext. 2196 or visit georgebrown.ca/performingarts/danceauditions.
- A minimum of intermediate level training in Classical Ballet (5 –7 years); pointe work is required, as well as training in Jazz and/or Modern Dance.
** Mature student status (19 years of age or older and no ossd)
Please note that George Brown is committed to ensuring that applicants will succeed in their program of choice and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants may be required to have grades higher than the minimum requirements stated.
College or university credits may qualify you for course exemptions. Please visit georgebrown.ca/transferguide for more information.
International (Visa) Students
Visit the International Admissions page for more information.
Pay for GBD Audition
Career & Post-Graduate Opportunities
Our graduates are working! Some of the many places they’ve found work include:
- Traditional dance companies and festivals: apprenticing, performing and touring with established dance companies and festivals such as Stratford, Ballet Jörgen Canada and the Charlottetown Festival.
- The project-based dance industry: applying for funding for their own projects, choreographing, founding companies, joining/forming groups and producing shows, and performing in festivals, cabarets, theatres and resorts.
- Film and television: appearing in productions and music videos and developing dance on film projects.
- The dance training studio industry, driven by television and live dance competitions: teaching, choreographing, coaching and judging, as well as founding and taking ownership of their own studios.
- The dance fitness and workshop industry: teaching and developing the expanding market of dance fitness and specialized workshops and taking this product across Canada and abroad.
- The sports and dance teams industry: cheerleading, and forming and joining dance teams.
Some graduates continue on to arts and master’s degrees in universities and continued professional development in fields such as circus performance, personal fitness, stage management, nutrition and physical therapies.
Some of the companies our graduates are working for:
2015 Pan Games Dance Artist, A2D2 Aerial Dance, Abroad in Australia, Mexico, Germany, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, USA, Lebanon, Artists Play Dance Theatre*, Ballet Espressivo, Ballet Kelowna, Blaze Entertainment, Blue Ceiling Dance, Cadence Ballet*, Canada’s Ballet Jörgen, Carnival Cruise Lines, Charlottetown Festival, Chimera Dance Project, Circus Orange, Dance Fuzion, Dance Ontario, Disney Cruise Lines, DivaGirl Entertainment, Drayton Entertainment, Dusk Dances, Elite Stage Productions, Hamilton Tiger Cats Dance Team, Honey Kats, Human Body Expression, Jay9 Dance Projects, I/O Movement*, La Belle Danse Baroque Company, Les Mills International Dance Fitness, Lindsay Ritter Productions, Luminato Festival, Melbourne Dance Theatre Company, Mirvish Productions, Much Music, Lady Gaga, Ontario Ballet Theatre, Paul Ibey Dance Company, Princess Cruise Lines, REAson D’etre Productions, So You Think You Can Dance, Starting Pointe Productions*, Stiletto Girls*, Stratford Festival, The Garage, The Rockettes, Toronto Argonauts Blue Thunder Dance Team, Toronto Burlesque Festival, Toronto Dance Theatre, Toronto Marlies Dance Pak, Toronto Raptors Dance Team, Toronto Rock Dance Team, Tree House Television, Valence Movement Dance Theatre*, Wonderland Dance Company
*Company founded by GBD Graduate