This demanding one-year Dance Performance Preparation program will help translate your passion for dancing into the skills necessary to pursue a career in professional dance. As a graduate, you will have a strong and confident foundation from which to further your professional dance education. Technical training is in classical ballet and is supplemented by modern and jazz dance. Studies in vocal and acting will enhance your performance versatility and employability. This program is based on a focused approach to training, rehearsal and performance.
Entrance requirement is dance training at the elementary classical ballet level with experience in other dance forms.
Prospective students must pass an audition in ballet and jazz as well as an interview.
Program Standards and Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Execute classical ballet, jazz, and modern dance technique at a basic level in choreographed solo and ensemble presentations.
- Sing at a basic level using breathing, dynamics and accuracy of pitch in both solo and chorus presentations.
- Execute dramatic works that connect emotionally with audience, both individually and within an ensemble presentation, at a basic level.
- Present self professionally at auditions and through resumes, biographical backgrounds, and photographs to advance artistic and career opportunities.
- Develop and apply self-knowledge and reflective practice to make informed artistic and personal choices.
How to Apply
Applicants are selected on the basis of their academic achievement, including the
required courses, and any other selection criteria outlined below.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent**
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Audition – Auditions will be held in spring and fall. For more information on auditions, including dates and times please call 416-415-5000, ext. 2196 or visit georgebrown.ca/performingarts/danceauditions.
- A minimum of intermediate level training in Classical Ballet (5 –7 years); pointe work is required, as well as training in Jazz and/or Modern Dance.
** Mature student status (19 years of age or older and no ossd)
Please note that George Brown is committed to ensuring that applicants will succeed in their program of choice and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants may be required to have grades higher than the minimum requirements stated.
College or university credits may qualify you for course exemptions. Please visit georgebrown.ca/transferguide for more information.
International (visa) students
Visit the International Admissions page for more information.
Career & Post-Graduate Opportunities
Our graduates are working! Some of the many places they’ve found work include:
- Traditional dance companies and festivals: apprenticing, performing and touring with established dance companies and festivals such as Stratford, Ballet Jörgen Canada and the Charlottetown Festival.
- The project-based dance industry: applying for funding for their own projects, choreographing, founding companies, joining/forming groups and producing shows, and performing in festivals, cabarets, theatres and resorts.
- Film and television: appearing in productions and music videos, and developing dance on film projects.
- The dance training studio industry, driven by television and live dance competitions: teaching, choreographing, coaching and judging, as well as founding and taking ownership of their own studios.
- The dance fitness and workshop industry: teaching and developing the expanding market of dance fitness and specialized workshops, and taking this product across Canada and abroad.
- The sports and dance teams industry: cheerleading, and forming and joining dance teams.
Some graduates continue on to arts and master’s degrees in universities and continued professional development in fields such as circus performance, personal fitness, stage management, nutrition and physical therapies.
Some of the companies our graduates are working for:
2015 Pan Games Dance Artist, A2D2 Aerial Dance, Abroad in Australia, Mexico, Germany, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, USA, Lebanon, Artists Play Dance Theatre*, Ballet Espressivo, Ballet Kelowna, Blaze Entertainment, Blue Ceiling Dance, Cadence Ballet*, Canada’s Ballet Jörgen, Carnival Cruise Lines, Charlottetown Festival, Chimera Dance Project, Circus Orange, Dance Fuzion, Dance Ontario, Disney Cruise Lines, DivaGirl Entertainment, Drayton Entertainment, Dusk Dances, Elite Stage Productions, Hamilton Tiger Cats Dance Team, Honey Kats, Human Body Expression, Jay9 Dance Projects, I/O Movement*, La Belle Danse Baroque Company, Les Mills International Dance Fitness, Lindsay Ritter Productions, Luminato Festival, Melbourne Dance Theatre Company, Mirvish Productions, Much Music, Lady Gaga, Ontario Ballet Theatre, Paul Ibey Dance Company, Princess Cruise Lines, REAson D’etre Productions, So You Think You Can Dance, Starting Pointe Productions*, Stiletto Girls*, Stratford Festival, The Garage, The Rockettes, Toronto Argonauts Blue Thunder Dance Team, Toronto Burlesque Festival, Toronto Dance Theatre, Toronto Marlies Dance Pak, Toronto Raptors Dance Team, Toronto Rock Dance Team, Tree House Television, Valence Movement Dance Theatre*, Wonderland Dance Company
*Company founded by GBD Graduate