Canada’s Ballet JörgenResidence Information
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen | Residence at Vanier College
Residence Information Package
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen Chaperones will be with the residents at all times. They will have a room in the same suite as the residents. The chaperones will travel to and from George Brown College with the residents on a daily basis. Most evenings, chaperones will be available to escort residents on trips and/or to stay back at the residence. On weekends the chaperones will take residents for excursions. Residents will be provided with choices for their weekend excursions and will, as a group, decide on their weekend plans. Chaperones will have all the emergency contact information for each resident and in cases where students have cell phones the chaperone will exchange phone numbers with the students. Should you have any special directions for your child’s involvement in extra-curricular activities, please let us know by email. Meals and bedtimes will be monitored to ensure that residents are equipped to get the most out of their time in the program. The chaperones are there to care for the residents and assist them in any means necessary; to make sure the students’ stay at the residence is a safe and enjoyable one!
Signing In and Out
All students will have to sign in and out of a provided binder at the residence if they are going out with family or friends, on an outing such as shopping or the movies. If a family member or friend is coming to pick up a student for a visit or outing we require that notice be given by the parents in advance via a email to our office or by talking to Clea Iveson or the Education Coordinator on the phone:
Travel to and from George Brown College
Chaperones will escort residents to the studios and back. They will leave from York University Station and travel to Dupont Station (10 stops). There is a short 5-minute walk to studios from Dupont Station. Reverse on the way back. TTC fares apply.
Upon check-in at the residence, you will be assigned a room and receive a key The main suite consists of a common living area, washrooms and kitchen; bedrooms are located off of the main suite. Please note that if a student locks herself/himself/zirself out of their room or suite, then the chaperone will have to accompany them to the main desk to get a temporary key, which must be returned to the main desk. Lost keys will demand that a fine be paid.
Check-in time is anytime after 3:00pm on the day of your arrival and check out time is prior to 11:00am on the day of your departure. A short introductory meeting with the residents, the chaperones and Education Manager (Clea Iveson) will be conducted at 7:30pm – parents are welcome to stay but this can also be a good time for parents to depart; leaving the residents all together with their chaperones. The chaperones will go over rules and guidelines as well as establish in detail the timing and travel plan for the next morning. All rooms will have linens, towels, and hand soap provided. Rooms are cleaned on a weekly basis. Each resident will have his or her own room unless demand requires us to double-up. Your spot in the residence has been secured on a first come first serve basis.
Residence fees may be reimbursed if Canada’s Ballet Jorgen is notified at least fifteen (15) business days prior to your scheduled check-in and will be subject to a $125+HST cancellation fee. Anything less than fifteen (15) business days will need to be reviewed on an individual basis.
Laundry is available on site, in the basement of the residence building. You can pay for laundry using your YU Guest Card. You will need to bring your own laundry and dryer supplies.
Upon check-in you will receive a YU Guest card, which will allow you to purchase food at any campus food outlet. There is a large variety of options on campus. Further information can be found here: https://foodservices.info.yorku.ca/dining-directory/
Breakfast: Residents will depart as a group for York Lanes and the cafeteria at 7:30am and then go directly to the subway to travel to the studios.
Lunch can be purchased at breakfast (then packed with you), on your YU card, before departing for the day, or at George Brown College using cash, credit, or debit. GBC food options can be round here: https://www.georgebrown.ca/current-students/campus-services-stores/where-to-eat-on-campus/
Dinner: Residents will have a choice of where to have dinner at York University – see dining directory link above
Residence security information can be found here: http://security.info.yorku.ca/
VANIER COLLEGE RESIDENCE
-RULES AND GUIDELINES 2019-
1. Students are expected to purchase their own TTC fares. The TTC now uses PRESTO for many of their fares. A PRESTO card can be purchased for $6.00 and loaded at the subway station. Students can then just tap into the system when travelling to and from the residence Tickets are also available; students will require 10 to get you to and from the residence each week. It is suggested that you purchase a monthly pass, which is purchased through PRESTO, depending on the length of your stay. This can all be done with the chaperones on check-in day. You may also pre-purchase and pre-load your PRESTO card online before arriving in Toronto.
2. QUIET TIME begins at 9:30PM – please do not make any excessive noise after this time and please do not disturb your chaperones unless it is an emergency
3. You need to get adequate sleep and eat properly in order to be successful in the program or you risk getting sick or injured
4. The group will go for breakfast together at 7:30AM, the group will depart residence together by 8:20AM, the group will return to the residence departing
5. It is NOT the chaperones responsibility to wake you up in the morning, set your alarm, ask other dancers to wake you
6. Make sure that you are prepared for class and have everything with you that you will need for the day. Don’t forget a water bottle! If you forget something at the residence, it will be difficult for you to go back mid-day to retrieve it
7. If you are sick, you will need to STAY at the residence and you MUST be in contact with your chaperone throughout the day. The chaperone will escort the other students to class and then return to the residence if an ill resident has stayed behind
8. Warm-up begins at 9:10AM – MANDATORY, YOU WILL NEED TO BE DRESSED AND READY
9. If you are leaving the residence for any reason, you MUST sign out in the binder and make sure your chaperone knows. You must ALWAYS go out in groups of 2 or more. After dark, you must be in the company of a chaperone
10. If you are leaving for an extended period of time (afternoon, evening, over-night), please provide the name of the person you are with (over the age of 18), their relationship to you and contact information where you can be reached
*If you are under the age of 18, we require written or verbal permission from your parent or guardian before you will be allowed to leave*
11. The common areas in each suite are exactly that, a common area – so please be respectful of others and clean up after yourself
12. You should talk to your parents, they care about you and want to know what you are doing
15. If you are feeling lonely or homesick, come talk to one of the Ballet Jörgen Staff – we are all here to ensure that your experience in the program is a positive and memorable one
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS IN PUBLIC AREAS, YOUR DOOR LOCKS…PLEASE USE IT.
MAKE SURE YOU DON’T LOCK YOUR KEY IN YOUR ROOM.
The residence is located at Vanier College (York University). Check in will take place at 108 McLaughlin College. The Residence is located in Vanier Residence at York University, 4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON. More information on the residence building can be found here: http://studenthousing.info.yorku.ca/undergrad/buildings/vanier/
How to get to the Residence from Pearson International Airport
192 Airport Rocket: All day Airport service from Kipling Station. The 192 Airport Rocket route provides all-day accessible bus service between Kipling Station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway and Pearson International Airport.
Service operates from approximately 5:30am to 2:00am, seven days a week. Please visit www.ttc.ca for current schedules and fares.
One-way travel time is approximately 20 to 25 minutes (from airport to Kipling Station, it will be an additional 40 – 50 minutes on the subway to get to the residence. To reach the residence from the airport take the 192 Airport Rocket to Kipling subway station, board any train at Kipling station (they only go eastbound), transfer at St. George station to a northbound train. Get off at York University station. It is about a 6 minute walk from the station to the residence.
By Union Pearson Express
The Union Pearson Express takes about 25 minutes to reach downtown Toronto with only 2 brief stops along the way. The Union Pearson Express connects directly to Terminal 1 at Toronto Pearson and runs every 15 minutes. For more information visit http://www.upexpress.com/
The City of Toronto licenses the taxis that service Toronto Pearson International Airport to ensure safety standards and fare consistency. Rates are predetermined based on the time and distance to your destination within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Taxis are available outside of every terminal and there is typically a taxi stand where you will be directed to a taxi.
How to get to the Residence from the Billy Bishop Airport (Island Airport – Porter Air)
Once you have travelled to the main land (tunnel or short ferry), walk north (away from the lake) one block to the Streetcar stop. Board a streetcar travelling east (along the lake), it will say Union Station on the front. Get off at Union station and board a northbound train on the University-Spadina line (heading North along the University Line). Get off at York University station. It is about a 6 minute walk from the station to the residence.
There is a taxi stand right outside the airport exit. Airport personnel can direct you to a taxi.
To send mail to students
No personal mail is to be delivered via the college. Packages will have to come via courier to the loading dock [Purolator, UPS, DHL etc]:
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen
George Brown College, Casa Loma Campus
160 Kendal Ave. Bldg C
Toronto, ON M5R 1M3
Please include our phone number (416) 961-4725